Saturday, November 24, 2012

I Love this Soup...Pumpkins Do Not

A couple of weeks ago I was gifted some pumpkin. Not a pumpkin...some pumpkin, as in chopped up pieces of what I assume was a smiley Hallowe'en pumpkin that brought joy to children before being chopped up and ending up in a big ziplock baggie in the back of my fridge.

The nice thing about any type of squash is that this stuff lasts. Squash is the kind of thing you can totally forget about and find one day behind the Vegenaise and pickles as you're rummaging through the fridge, and you'll be pleasantly surprised to discover it because it's still in perfectly usable condition.

Problem is, I've never cooked with pumpkin before. Pumpkin puree, of course. But actual pumpkin parts that didn't come out of a can, no. Easy fix...internet to the rescue!

I googled vegan pumpkin soup, and sorted through a few recipes unenthusiastically until I came across Curry-Laced Pumpkin and Potato Soup from Lisa's Kitchen.

Oh Lisa, you had me at "Curry-Laced."

I had all the ingredients necessary, and was finally won over when I noticed that it was a pureed soup. I LOVE making pureed soups because you don't actually have to put any effort into nicely dicing anything. You can just roughly chop up everything, boil it up in the pot, and then let the blender take care of the rest.

So I chopped everything up...


...boiled it up in the pot...


...and the blender took care of the rest.


Well holy crap that was stupid easy.



Rob the Husband noticed the curry as soon as he walked into the house.

This is a fragrant, savory soup, very convenient to prepare, and it's high on the awesome flavour scale. The curry really pairs wonderfully with the pumpkin and the potato, which provide a lovely creamy texture. I threw in some croutons because I'm crouton obsessed, but it totally doesn't need them.


I'm not usually comfortable going outside of my beloved cookbooks and venturing into the vast world of online recipes, but in this case the gamble paid off. We both very much enjoyed this soup and will most definitely be repeating the recipe. It's super quick, super easy, and super delicious. I'm a fan.

Rob's rating:
4.5 Happy Tongues

My rating:
4 Happy Tongues

You know who's probably not a fan? The pumpkin :(


*found this gem of an image at TheSpookyVegan*


No comments:

Post a Comment